There are so many things I LOVE about being a wedding planner. The beauty of a successful happy wedding, playing with clients in linen and decor showrooms and the especially here in Newport, Rhode Island-- the gilded mansions and high end soirees! But it is the ins & outs of daily life--emails upon emails and my endless to do list-- that truly make my job the greatest in the world!
Skills I have picked up from all steps of my life converge on every event and the tips and tricks I pick up along the way prove to ever strengthen my "jack-of-all-trades" lifestyle. Everything from making last minute floral arrangements, reconstructing the maid of honor's hair do or even sewing a bride's gown back together after some moves on the dance floor are cherished memories.
So, what does a wedding planner keep in her arsenal to make sure the wedding magic keeps happening? Well! This planner travels with what I like to call the "Bridal Bazooka"-- a fifty pound tool box filled with everything from band aids to screw drivers! If you are planning for what to have in your wedding day emergency kit, check out my Pinterest board for recommendations. I have included a list below of the items I have found to be most handy on the day of the wedding for me:
1) a GREAT pair of scissors! Preferably a smaller pair. I wear mine on a lanyard around my neck during the "prep" of the wedding day. Scissors are by far the number one most requested item on the day of the wedding!
2) Fashion Tape- My favorite brand is Hollywood Fashion Tape. I find most of my clients need a little help here or there with various dress or suit items and a little tape goes a long way!
3) Fasteners of all kinds! Ok so this isn't limited to one item, I know! However, fasteners such as safety pins, flower pins, bobby pins, or even crazy glue can rescue you in a pinch!
4) Power Packs- I typically carry about 3 power packs to keep my cell phone charged and at the ready at all times. I usually only need two during a 16 hour day to stay "juiced" and my third inevitably goes to a desperate bridesmaid or groomsmen in need. Having your cell phone fully powered during a wedding is a must between capturing your wedding day selfies, keeping in touch with vendors and send sweet notes to your future husband/wife.
5) a Candle Lighter- finally, I travel with multiple lights to ensure when the sun goes down the beautiful soft glow of candles comes up! Of course, you need to make sure your venue and tent company approve the use of real candles (most location approve flames as long as they are enclosed in glass like a votive or floating candle not an exposed flame like a taper candle). Candle light can add such a romantic touch to your wedding day and makes for a the perfect warmth with any design!